Through our Youth Advisory Panel, we listen to what young people have to say and involve them in shaping the ways in which we support their mental health.
Who are our Youth Advisory Panel?
Our Youth Advisory Panel are young people who volunteer to help us make a difference to young people's mental health across Ireland.
They help us to:
- raise awareness about youth mental health and why it needs to be taken seriously
- build awareness of how we support young people and their communities
- best support young people with their mental health
- fundraise to support our services
Each Jigsaw Service across Ireland has its own local Youth Advisory Panel drawn from the surrounding community. We also have a Youth Advisory Panel at a national level made up of young people from the local Youth Advisory Panels and areas that don't have a Jigsaw Service of their own. Contact your local Jigsaw for more details about its Youth Advisory Panel.
Each Youth Advisory Panel has around 20 members, aged from 16-25 years. All of them are passionate about youth mental health and may serve a term of up to three years.
Why be part of our Youth Advisory Panel?
Being part of a Jigsaw Youth Advisory Panel provides lots of opportunities to learn about new things. Youth Advisory Panel members are currently involved with our:
- Jigsaw Advisory Groups
- Board of Directors
- HR Sub Committee
- Management Forum
- Audit and Finance Sub Committee
- Quality and Safety Sub Committee
- Research Sub Committee
- Education and Training Sub Committee
- Communication & Fundraising Sub Committee
- Operational Management Groups.
Over the past year, Youth Advisory Panel members have:
- Regularly contributed to the Jigsaw website, and helped us develop resources for young people and their parents
- Helped us in the development of new Jigsaw services and ideas for ways in which to support young people with their mental health
- Helped us to raise awareness and reduce the stigma surrounding mental health
- Joined us for events and activities to ensure the voice of young people is heard.
“The Youth Advisory Panel acts as our compass for when we are unsure about how to deliver, design and communicate about what we we do and why we do it.”
Sarah, Jigsaw staff member
Why it matters to us that young people are part of Jigsaw?
- Young people know what works for them better than anyone else
- They have a right to be consulted with respect to policies/issues affecting them
- They are more likely to use support and services when they are consulted and involved with them
- They help us to make better decisions.
Find out more about our Youth Advisory Panel and how you can get involved
Currently we are not recruiting for new Youth Advisory Panel members for the national office. However, we are embarking on a whole new and exciting youth participation direction so keep an eye on this page for updates.
Jigsaw services recruit their own Youth Advisory Panels at different points during the year, so make sure to check your local service for details.