Wise words for staying OK on the day
July 24th 2019
Get yourself 'Results Day' ready.
So the day you’ve been waiting for has arrived. The work is done, the results are in. Let’s get ready to receive them.
You may awake feeling optimistic and excited, or feeling nervous with an impending sense of dread. Maybe you are feeling perfectly relaxed, or have a pounding heart and a sick feeling in your stomach? You may well switch between a variety of emotional and physical feelings through the day. It is normal to experience a range of feelings in response to the potentially stressful experience that is results day.
However you are feeling, there are some easy steps you can take to get mentally and physically prepared to read those results.
Find yourself a quiet space. Close your eyes. Focus your attention on your body. How does your body feel?
Practicing some calming breathing can help your body feel better and get you ready to think calmly and positively.
- Take a long slow breath in through your nose slowly counting to 5.
- Hold the breath for a count of 3.
- Breath out slowly, focusing on gently exhaling all the air from your lungs.
- As you breathe out relax your shoulders and your body.
- Repeat this at least 5 times and for as many times as is helpful.
Sometimes when we are stressed or anxious, negative thoughts can seem to play on a loop in our minds making us feel bad. Identify a positive statement you can say, repeatedly, to yourself to stay calm and positive and to keep those nagging worries from your mind.
Maybe it will be something you would say to a friend if they were in need, or something that has been said to you in the past that was helpful.
- 'I’ve done all I can, I can handle what comes next'
- 'Today is just one day. It will not define my whole life.'
- 'Difficult roads often lead to the best places'
- ‘Singing don’t worry...about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright.’ Bob Marley
Most importantly remember to be kind in the way that you speak to yourself! Remembering to be kind to ourselves is key to good mental health and emotional wellbeing.
Ask yourself these simple questions to make sure you have a clear and helpful plan for the day..
- What time do you want to go?
- Do you want someone with you to collect results? If so who is the most supportive person to bring?
- Do you want to open results with others or alone? Maybe opening your results alone in the car, your room or the garden feels right for you or plan a walk on the beach with friends or a coffee in the park for a bit of extra support.
- Who will you speak to first?
- You may have made plans to join in celebrations. What is your exit plan if you don’t feel up to it? What will you do instead?
- Are you ready to go? If not get busy. Do something enjoyable or practical to occupy your mind until it’s time.
Good luck! Whatever the results remember tomorrow is a new day and the future is out there waiting for you...