If you have any questions about the Boxymo Giro D'Jigsaw, take a look at our frequently asked questions below.
What is the Boxymo Giro D’Jigsaw?
The Boxymo Giro D’Jigsaw is a three day, eight stage, 470km managed charity cycle tour across Ireland linking counties and communities where Jigsaw Services are located (Galway, Roscommon, Meath, Dublin and Offaly).
The Boxymo Giro raises funds for Jigsaw, the National Centre for Youth Mental Health, to help achieve our vision to significantly change how Ireland thinks about, responds to and supports young people’s mental health.
When is the Boxymo Giro D’Jigsaw?
The Boxymo Giro D’Jigsaw cycle tour takes places over three days, Friday 29th September, Saturday 30th September and Sunday 1st October 2017.
What is the route?
- Friday 29th September
Route: Clairnbridge Co.Galway – Athlone – Mullingar – Athboy - Trim. Distance: 186km. See day 1 route map
- Saturday 30th September
Route: Trim – Balbriggan – Blanchardstown – Edenderry – Tullamore. Distance: 177km, See day 2 route map
- Sunday 1st October
Route: Tullamore – Banagher - Loughrea – Clairnbridge, Co. Galway. Distance: 113km. See day 3 route map
Where is the Boxymo Giro D’Jigsaw start and finish located?
The Boxymo Giro will start on Friday 29th September and finish on Sunday 1st October at Paddy Burkes, Clairnbridge, Co. Galway. Start and finish times will be confirmed closer to the event.
How is the cycle managed?
We have two managed cycle groups in the Boxymo Giro D’Jigsaw. Each group will have its own lead car, two cycling marshals, and two civilian motorbike marshals and a support vehicle providing tour nutrition, repairs and first aid support
Is there set paces for the cycle?
Yes, there is a set pace for each group. The first group (Group 1) is paced at 25km per hour, the 2nd group (Group 2) at 30km per hour throughout. Both these groups will have cycling marshals and a lead car maintaining the pace.
How many cyclists in each group?
There is a limit to the numbers of people who can take part in the Boxymo Giro. We can accommodate a maximum of 30 people per group, which limited our participation to 60 cyclists total on the tour.
What is the story with stops along the route?
We have a series of managed rest and stage stops throughout the Boxymo Giro. There is either a rest stop or a stage stop at every 50km (approx.) along the route. At each of these stops there will be toilet facilities and you will be provided with your on-tour nutrition by our catering support team.
Is there food provided on tour?
Yes, our catering support team will provide all your nutrition on tour, but you are also welcome to bring your own sports drinks/gels/bars, etc. For those staying in our Team Giro hotels on Friday 29th September in Trim Co. Meath and Saturday 30th September in Tullamore Co. Offaly, you will be getting a dinner and breakfast provided.
Where are we staying on Friday and Saturday night?
Your accommodation on tour will be at the following:
- Friday 29th September will be the Knightsbrook Hotel, Trim Co. Meath
- Saturday 30th September is Tullamore Central Hotel.
You will be provided with a dinner on both evenings and breakfast on both mornings. All our rooms are twin rooms, so you will be sharing a room with another Giro cyclist.
What do I have to bring with me?
When you sign in on the morning of the Boxymo Giro you must bring an overnight bag and a day bag.
- Overnight bag: This bag will contain any clothes or personal items you require for your overnight stays. This bag will be dropped directly to your hotel on both days, and will be in your room when you arrive.
- Day bag: This bag will be brought with you on tour in our catering support vehicle. In your day bag you must bring at least one change of cycle gear, any of your own food (sports drinks, gels, bars, etc), wallets, phone etc. This day bag will travel in our support van throughout the tour and you will have access to it at every rest and stage stop.
Where can I register for the Boxymo Giro?
You can register your interesting in taking part in the Giro online now. Once you do you will be called by a member of the team in Jigsaw to complete your registration.
How much is it to register?
There is a €50 registration fee to register for the Boxymo Giro D’Jigsaw. Each cyclist is then asked to aim to raise, donate or be sponsored €750 to take part in our three day charity cycle tour.
How will I raise €750?
We will be supplying you a sponsorship pack and your own online fundraising page to help raise sponsorship via Facebook, Twitter, and Email from friends, family, colleagues, club mates etc. We also provide any fundraising help, materials, support or advice you require.
What does this include?
You will get your own branded Boxymo Giro D’Jigsaw cycle jersey on completion of the tour. Your accommodation in the team hotels on both nights, all your meals over the two days, all transfers and support throughout the cycle, access to pre Boxymo Giro D’Jigsaw training plans and support.
Do I have to have all the funds raised in advance to take part?
Yes, we are asking all participants to have all the funds raised and returned to Jigsaw on or before Friday 15th September 2017.
Is my registration transferrable?
In limited circumstance, please get in touch with us if you are no longer able to take part and would like to transfer your place to someone else. Contact Justin from Jigsaw on 083 105 1576, or email Justin.firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the refund policy?
Anyone who does not take part in the Boxymo Giro D’Jigsaw cycle tour, for any reason, will not have their funds raised refunded. Funds will go towards our work supporting young people’s mental health in Ireland.
Can friends and family attend?
Friends and family are more than welcome to visit/meet you at the end of each day of the tour and are invited to join with us at our Boxymo Giro D’Jigsaw finish line party in Paddy Burkes, Clairnbridge, Co. Galway from 3pm on Sunday 1st October.
Is there a closing date for registrations?
No there is no closing date, but once we reach our full quota for cyclists, 60 cyclists in total, registrations will close, we will maintain a waiting list for any places on tour that come available due to drop outs. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for the latest news and updates on registrations.
Where do the funds raised go?
All funds raised go to Jigsaw. We urgently needs these funds so we can continue to deliver a range of vital services to improve the lives of young people experiencing mental health difficulties and those around them. Carry out our ground-breaking, high-impact, collaborative youth mental health research. Provide, evaluate and monitor the most up-to-date data about youth mental health available in Ireland. Influence change and raise awareness of youth mental on a national level.
Are there any photos and videos from previous Giros cycles for Jigsaw?
Yes, check out the video of last year’s Giro cycle for Jigsaw (Giro D’Galway).
Who do I contact for more info?
Justin McDermott, Jigsaw, Mobile: 083 105 1576 Tel: 091 549 252 Email: Justin.email@example.com
Boxymo Giro D’Jigsaw full terms and conditions
- Participants must be 18 years old or older.
- This is a long challenging cycle and all participants must have your own bike, helmet and cycle gear and have cycling experience.
- We have event insurance covering all participants in the Giro D’Jigsaw, but we would strongly advice all entries to become members of Cycling Ireland, if you are not already a member.
- To secure your place in the Boxymo Giro D’Jigsaw, please pay a €50 deposit per person. Your place is not secure until we receive this amount. Please note that your deposit is non-refundable.
- You are required to raise a minimum of €750 in addition to your deposit. All funds raised are due by close of business 15th September 2017. If you have are having difficulty reaching your target, please keep in touch with us and we will support you as best we can to ensure you reach your target.
- Anyone who does not take part in the Boxymo Giro D’Jigsaw, for any reason, will not have their funds raised refunded. Funds will go towards supporting the work of Jigsaw.
- We require all participants to complete our Health Screening Form, and some participants may be required to receive medical approval before taking part.
- Please let us know of any fundraising events you are organising so that we can provide any support you may need.
- You will be added to the Jigsaw Database and will receive future updates from Jigsaw, such as our newsletter, future fundraising events and campaigns and other relevant information. The information received from you will only be disclosed to such third parties as may be necessary, in order to process your donation.
- We will take reasonable precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of information you give us. Agents or contractors of Jigsaw who have access to information you give us in the course of providing services to us are required to keep that information confidential and are not permitted to use it for any purpose other than to carry out the services which they are performing for us.